A Big Fan of Filming and Traveling Around Las Vegas, NM
Las Vegas has been a favorite setting and location for films since the beginning of the film industry. One of the first to discover it was Tom Mix, who stopped there on a train ride from Hollywood to Pennsylvania (his home state). He got off that train, started exploring town, and fell in love with the place. He loved the variety of western terrain and the people of Las Vegas who helped to make productions go smoothly. He said if he ever could break away from Hollywood, he’d move to Las Vegas and live out his days there. (Courtesy of nenewmexico.com)
Tom Mix filmed or directed over 30 films in and around Las Vegas, NM. Here are some of the location we have identified.
- The Blind Power — The Montezuma Hot Springs
- The Circles End— The Montezuma Hot Springs
- The Rattlesnake — Ilfield Mansion on South Gonzales, Springer Hall, Iron Springs, Skating Pond in Montezuma
- The Trolley Car — Las Vegas, NM, had electric trolley transportation from 1904-1937
- The Circles End — The Montezuma Hot Springs
The New Mexico Film Office has a treasure of additional information here.